Sunday, December 20, 2009

C.G. & D.

I snitched my Dad's pen during church today and wrote the title to this post on my hand, CG&D. My Dad looked at me questioningly, but he always looks at me that way... I'm a weird kid...

Anyway CG&D stands for "Common Grace and Darwin" (I'm glad I remembered, or this post would have turned out a good bit different). I wrote that on my hand shortly after my pastor mentioned that Darwin was buried at Westminster Abbey... Really, it was after that, and after the thought in my head that "haha, guess some Presbyterians buried Darwin once and for all." Although, that only really explains the Darwin part...

I think pastor must have also said something about "deserving" and I forget exactly when it was that I wrote on my hand, but here's the connection: I believe that God holds all things together, that the we, the world, the universe, cannot exist if it were not for the Creator also being the keeper. Were it not for common grace, God's willingness to keep evil at bay in the world and deal with a world that is in rebellion against Him, Darwin would never have been able to extend the ideas of natural selection into a theory of evolution. In fact, if it were not for God's common grace, Darwin would never have come to be at all. If God were not good, He would have been done with man long ago.

Darwin was a recipient of God's common grace, and we are too. Darwin gave many people the idea that they had "proof" God does not exist, and God let him live his life. I know there are days when I am even worse, because, professing to be a Christian, I live in a way that turns people away from truth, giving them all the "proof" they need to reject Christ.

I guess this has become an appeal, so I'll end it like this: We all, like Darwin, Newton, and all those buried with them, will die and rot. Thanks be to God for dealing with us for as long as He has, and for providing eternity for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment